Meet Rosa, a woman with an intellectual disability; “You might not think I understand, but just because you don’t hear what I say, doesn’t mean I’m anything less than you are. You, you with your names and labels – you’re the real ‘R’s” .Look at me, I mean really SEE me.”
2010 rethink theatre challenge
- What is the main learning about the association between mental health issues and intellectual disability?
- What myths and stereotypes surround both mental and intellectual issues?
- What are the truths?
- What could we do to better understand either experience?
- What are the most difficult challenges facing people with intellectual disability based on this play?
- How would talking to people with intellectual disabilities or their family members help you the portrayal of Rosa become more realistic and less stereotyped?
- This script was written by a US author: Investigate the statistics and situations for people with intellectual disability in your country; how integrated into the community are they?